DID YOU KNOW?
New month, and a new opportunity to learn. Interesting fact about the month of August – August was named in honor of Augustus Caesar and originated with the Roman calendar. It has 31 days because Augustus wanted as many days as Julius Caesar’s month of July had. That is something you probably did not know, and here are other interesting facts you probably did not know about the world.
1. Brush your teeth twice a day to keep them healthy and strong, but be careful not to be too aggressive when you do this. The enamel (substance that makes your teeth shiny) will wear down quicker if you do this making your teeth more sensitive to hot and cold foods.
2. Lance Armstrong (most successful cyclist) won the Tour de France several times before and after surviving cancer. He is a perfect example of what it means to be resilient. With a good mindset, you can do anything! Never underestimate the power of your mind.
3. “Green Eggs and Ham” was written using only 50 words as a dare from Dr. Seuss’s editor that he could not write a book using fewer words than “The Cat in the Hat” which used 225 words. Famous chefs like Martha Stewart and more were inspired to create recipes for green eggs and ham. Green eggs anyone?
4. The earth is not flat but it is not perfectly round either. Near the equator (middle of the earth), it bulges slightly. It is best described as an irregular sphere. This difference is not clearly visible in the pictures we have seen of our planet that is looks like a perfect circle to the human eye.
5. After a few thousand years of bartering, China printed the first paper money in the 11th century. This was nearly 20 centuries after the earliest form of coins were in use. We have come a very long way since then.
6. The origin of makeup dates back to the times of Cleopatra in ancient Egypt. It was thought to be a sign of wealth believed to have been attractive to the gods. To others, it was thought to be a sign of vanity. People have different opinions about it. Make up or not, you are beautiful!
To apply for our tuition: click here